4.1.12

Odyssey

I know I want to focus on retro 'games' but I had to document this as I simply had no idea of it's existence in the history of electronic gaming. 
The Magnavox Odyssey is the world's first home video game console. It was first demonstrated on May 24, 1972 and released in August of that year, predating the Atari Pong home consoles by three years. The Odyssey was designed by Ralph Baer, who began around 1966 and had a working prototype finished by 1968.


Such a crisp clean design work, not only with the console itself but even the type feels very considered. It undoubtedly looks like design from the late 70's however with a few tweaks and contemporary imagery (with reference mainly to the advertisement on the left), I could see it sat in a shop window advertising the latest console today. May be a slight over-exaggeration but I'm so impressed with the overall aesthetics of this product.





No comments:

Post a Comment