17.10.12

Flyer&Bobbin

After devloping the first half of my brand name through the discovery of Mr Cott, I started looking at industrial equiment that was revolutionary in Britian regarding the textile industry. I want the brand to reminice on past acomplishments Britain has claim to within the fashion & textiles industry.

"Use of the spinning wheel and hand loom restricted the production capacity of the industry, but incremental advances increased productivity to the extent that manufactured cotton goods became the dominant British export by the early decades of the 19th century...

Lewis Paul patented the Roller Spinning machine and the flyer-and-bobbin system for drawing wool to a more even thickness, developed with the help of John Wyatt in Birmingham."

I love the sound of a flyer and bobbin machine, the name rolls off the tongue rather nicely...



























"Ring spinning was slow due to the distance the thread had to pass around the ring, but certain methods have improved on this; such as flyer and bobbin and cap spinning."

So it seems the flyer and bobbin revolution allowed mass advancements in textile production, Britain found themselves at a much more superior position than any other country within the industry. In homage to this great piece of machinery, I want to use an element of the name in my response to the Fashion Brand of the Future brief.

I want the name to sound typically English, drawing on elements of our history but presenting the brand in a very modern and contemporary style. I feel this will work in terms of the brief reqirements and I'm happy to work with a name of this nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment