12.10.12

Publications

Looking at existing publications, more particularly their production, binding and physical attributes. I want to experiment with more unusual techniques when producing my '80 Years on' publication, exploring typographic history in the 20's & 30's and how that has informed the use of type today.

I swear I use no art at all

is the 101st published book by Joost Grootens. The concept is beautiful, it is simply a documentation of his past 100 books. A great selection of the grids, binds, images and content from his past projects are all included.

 The first press was a run of 1000 limited editions, Grootens then tracked down as many of the 1000 books all over the world and produced an info graphic poster as to each of their where abouts, included in each of the books there after. Beautiful.



One thing I love about this book is the tiered sections throughout, essentially I think they are a progression of tip-ins all the way through, but it is a really functional way to divide content, especially in a book that is so focused on information and a record of past projects.


































It was hard to miss this Exhibition booklet laying around college, but I thought I'd give it a little mention as it does use a fancy print finish and rather unconventional half cover, it's little experiments like this that I want to start incorporating into my publication, particularly as I want it to be more of a playful brief.


































This next example is a hand made publication, I picked it up for £10 pound at the last Leeds book fair. It is a personalised graphic representation of a song by The Caseroom Press, it was quite a coincidence as we were sat next to them at the fair and our response was music related and we got talking about different projects and methods to visualising audio.

I love the simplicity of the content, no text, just visual compositions of a song completely determined by personal take on what it meant to them. The front cover is a large folding poster that can be accessed by taking the bind apart. I'm yet to make use of the poster as I can't bring myself to dismantle this lovely publication.


No comments:

Post a Comment